First Day At Work

Gee, I’m finding a lot to say this month, but I suppose there’s a lot going on that deserves noting.

Monday, October 6th, was the first day that Cara was present in the office. I completed the legal name change last week but since I work mostly from home anyway, Monday was the first day at the office as me.

HR paperwork was done, with an enthusiastic congratulations from the HR rep who helped me correct the relevant forms. My new health insurance card should be available to me within a few weeks. If there are any issues, she said she’d be sure to notify me.

New photo for ID was taken. They’re all mug shots but I have to say I like this one better than the old one.

IT began the process of changing my email and user ids. We seem to have gotten most of it, but not quite all yet. My contact there wants me to wait 24 hours to be sure all the changes to the Domain Controller are propagated outward to the secondary controllers before we investigate any anomalies.

My team mates all apparently had similar reactions. I walked in and “Who is.. oh! That’s Cara!” 🙂

Got home from the office just a few minutes before my spouse, who pulled up having stopped at the grocery store after her classes were done. So still wearing my “power” suit (black blazer, black knee length skirt, white button down blouse, black hose and black shoes) I walked out to help bring things into the house. My neighbor, who is a strange old coot who also happens to own a strip club not too many miles down the road, was getting out of his truck. He stopped and stared. 😛 That’s the third time he’s seen me as me in the last week and it won’t be the last. I suspect he wants to wander over and ask a question but hasn’t done it yet. Color me amused.

I do have to say though, that my employer, being a Norwegian company that has strong and explicit corporate language protecting all LGBT people, and which has apparently fired people for breaking their zero tolerance policy on those issues, has been superb. Every step of the way, they have been helpful, and I was even able to get them a few answers they did not yet have since I am apparently the company’s first transitioning trans employee.

I made some PF Chang’s for dinner (hate the restaurant – too pricey, but love the frozen meals at the grocery), and spent the evening chilling out.

An excellent first day at work for Cara. 🙂


P.S. Today I saw my new company photo propagating to correct locations and more and m0re of the corporate IT domain controllers appear to be getting my updates. It’s nice seeing my name and correct photo showing up where it should. 🙂


One thought on “First Day At Work

  1. *
    As I mentioned in other posts, my federal employing agency fired me for being a sex change (1985). To make ends meet, I worked a variety of temp agency assignments for five years (1985 – 1990) until I obtained a more permanent position..

    Allow me to share two work experiences following my completed transition.

    #1) I was assigned to prepare bookkeeping for a small accounting company (1986). My supervisor escorted me to introduce myself to the other employees. My heart skipt several beats as my supervisor identified one co-worker who would be arriving later – Elizabeth (hey, you gotta like that name); she goes by ‘Chavy’. Chavy and I worked together for the same federal agency – she was a Summer intern during 1980. We saw each other daily at work and we developed a friendship outside work hours. Uh oh! What if she recognised me and filed a complaint or worse (I was commonly suspecting the worst). Nope. She did not recognise me at all. We worked side-by-side for two months and not once did she say or ask anything – not even a whisper. She saw me only as Sharon. Of course why would she think I was that other person. Sex change can’t be the first thought in most minds if you think you see someone who looks familiar. We also are members of a food co-op. I have not seen her for a few years, but for quite a while we saw each other at the co-op and she always addressed me as Sharon and never mentioned or asked about our prior time together.

    #2) I house-sat for neighbours who frequently travelled out of town; I also took care of their horses and their two dogs during their absence. They had a son; we never met because he is one year older than I and was attending college out of town. That was during the late-1970s. Fast forward to 1986 and another temp assignment – this time creating computerised commissary accounts. My supervisor was the son. Again my heart lost several beats as he came to introduce himself to me. He never recognised me. Lucky, too, that his office was distant from where I worked at the commissary store – we barely saw each other during the four months or so that I worked my assignment.

    I will not repeat the ordeal that SSA has imposed upon me. I hope all is better for you with SSA. Plus, you are working for an employer who respects their employees.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s