A Three Week Update on HRT

Today is three weeks since beginning HRT. There are not many changes yet but they are beginning. There is tenderness around the breasts. I’m detecting some shrinkage of the testes. I think my skin feels slightly softer and less oily overall but I’m not certain of those things.

I’ve also had occasions of more intense olfactory sensations, but it’s not consistent. I’m also beginning to wonder if my own scent is changing but again, I’m not certain of that. My fingernails and toenails seem stronger and less flakey but that may also be the biotin at work.

Emotionally, I cry somewhat more readily. I’m not sure I detect any specific changes in thought or thought patterns. I suspect my facial electrolysis is going easier. I know that my recovery from electrolysis seems faster now than previously, especially the cheeks. My cheeks used to take 48-60 hours to recover from an electrolysis session and now it seems to be 24 hours or less with most irritation gone in 4-6 hours. I think my facial hair is growing slower, which means I need to let it grow for a longer time between electrolysis sessions. I can suddenly see the huge advantage of an electrolysis center like E3000 which does your entire face in one sitting then has you return 2-3 months later rather than doing it for just an hour each week.

I’m not sure what other direct hormonal effects I am seeing. I think my left eye generally tends to be moister than it was before though it still can get too dry. I see more vellus hairs on my scalp but that’s no help if they don’t turn into terminal hairs and I am hoping that they do.

In summary, the changes at three weeks are just beginning and are fairly subtle so far. Perhaps I’ll see more at the six week mark.


2 thoughts on “A Three Week Update on HRT

  1. *
    Yes, as you now know three years later, your body scent was transitioning to female. It’s the entirety of your change.

    To each their own choice of electrolysis. I am pleased that your method worked well for you. I went weekly for an hour at a time for a few years. That schedule avoided the swelling that you experienced.. At first my electrolygist zapped the hairs randomly – primarily the longest. hairs Then I remember so well my first patch of hair-free skin at my chin, then some more new clear spaces among hairy, eventually more clear spaces than hairy, then we finished. Toward the end, she was merely cleaning out the leftovers of last waves during 15 minute touch-up sessions. The ending was easy because it occurred while I was on free time from work – I went every day. I began to miss our weekly socialising.

    How were your dreams? My endocrinologist prescribed Diethylstilbestrol and then Premarin (purple – 6.5). His original instructions were the whole batch once each day – 6 one milligram DES or one Premarn. Days when I got ‘morning sickness’ eventually led to experiencing pregnancy dreams that night. Apparently the body and brain do not recognise part of the situation other than the rush of estrogen. The dreams were kinda cool – my brain was really in female mode – but the ‘morning sickness’ was no fun and was a tough explanation to co-workers.

    I eventually spread out my dosaging; that meant taking pills at work required open stealth where I was still a male. Since I spread them out during the day, I had to carry my spares with me. DES pills had a red coating and appeared similar to Coracedin allergy pills. A business office has little quiet time to otherwise sneak a pill without someone seeing it. Instead, I made no pretence to hide them, I let others presume they were allergy pills, and I simply did not say they were DES. I frequently had to think of a way to evade surrendering a pill if someone wanted to mooch an ‘allergy pill’ from me.

    • At that point I was on estropipate once a day. That didn’t work as well as my endo wanted so we swapped to ethinyl estradiol in January 2014, and the physical results have been better. There are a lot of vellus hairs on top of my head but very few have continued on to full grown hairs. I saw a hair restoration specialist, and I assumed my problem was somehow related to male pattern baldness even though I had a very harsh chemotherapy process I went through for 5 months in 1995. As soon as he saw my bare head, he said, “You’ve had cancer and chemo, haven’t you?” I replied yes, and he began pointing out things that, to his professional eye, said that most of the damage on my scalp was a result of that chemo. Then he asked me a question. Does anyone in your family experience male pattern baldness? I thought about that and realized that even my grandfathers (maternal and paternal) and my father had full thick heads of hair in their final years. So apparently my hair loss is truly driven by the chemo and no my prior assumption. Right now there’s really nothing they can do. Transplants would require over 10,000 grafts to restore my hair and I’ve only got about 3500 that can be safely harvested without really harming the remaining donor areas. So until medical science can clone hair follicles, it will be continue to be wigs and hair pieces for me.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s